About Me

My photo
I am more than a statistic.

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Ignorance is Bliss


One phrase from my childhood that I will always remember is, "Ignorance is bliss." I first heard this phrase from my librarian at Sallye B. Mathis Elementary school when I was in 4th or 5th grade. It has stuck with me throughout my life. Another phrase that I have heard countless times is, "Knowledge is power."

There are so many unexplained trends in the African American culture that young people don't understand or research. The phrase "Ignorance is Bliss" applies to the young African American teenagers sagging their pants. It applies to the countless individuals, who decided to plank and post pictures of themselves for the world to see. There are other examples of individuals, who participate in activities and say things without knowing the full context of their words. I would encourage my fellow friends and young people to research and learn the history behind popular trends before getting involved.

In elementary, I learned "Ignorance is bliss." In middle school, I learned that being smart made you a nerd. In high school, I learned that education was my number one priority. In college, I learned to be a skeptic.

Take the time to learn and research the history of African Americans before being an active participant in what's the latest trend in society.

1 comment:

Wm Jackson said...

So the solution is to motivate more Black youth to attend college. As a elementary and college educator I totally agree, but the challenge is to convince kids that being an nerd and geek is cool...to convince parents that college is necessary not just sports. The value and the right to obtain an education is important..